Sunday, November 4, 2012

C4K summary for October

#3 In Rebecca's blog she posted a story about Thanksgiving and how her grandmother cooks most of the food. She wrote how she just wants to dive in.

I told her Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too. My grandma does most of the cooking for our celebration as well, and her story made me wish for it to be sooner.

#4 In Annelise's Post she talks about the things she has learned in her AP Government class. She said it has spilled over into her daily life, especially right now with the election coming up. She said she no longer has to ask her parents what is going on in the debates and such. She is a student at a Catholic school in Nashville, and she talks about how her theology class has also helped her understand what our government is doing. I loved her comments about how her "AP US History teacher describes it, the founding fathers would be “rolling over in their graves” if they knew the United States had become a two-party system."

I told her that I also used to have to ask my parents what was going on in the political debates. They were always so boring to me, and I always ended up falling asleep on the couch. Now, that is totally different. I like how her class has changed her everyday life so much. It is very important for young people to know what is going on in our government. I hope there are more like her who is interested in our country's future.

#5 In Emma's Extra-Excellent Blog!!! Emma wrote a post about Kachina dolls. She explained what they were for and how to make them.

In my comment to her I told her I had not heard of a Kachina doll before. I think it is very neat to learn about other cultures and what they do to remember those they have lost in their lives. I did a quick search and found that according to the Hopi, Kachina dolls are objects meant to be treasured and studied. They are not to be considered idols of worship or children’s toys.

#6 In McKenna's class they are learning about Alberta. She posted a Wordle with many words important to Alberta. I told her I really liked her Wordle. I just learned how to make them myself. I bet Alberta would be a wonderful place to visit from all of the different things her Wordle showed. I am originally from Linton, Indiana, and many of the words in her Wordle reminded me of home.

#7 Special Edition! Dr. Vitulli and Dr. Santoli are in Ireland attending an International Conference on Education. I read the post Attention Getters. They posted about Dublin and their adventures there. They said the people were very nice and offered direction without being asked. There the drivers are on the right side of the road, and the walk ways say "look right" or "look left" on the pavement. They also asked, "Have you traveled internationally and if so, what cultural differences surprised, challenged, and/or enlightened you? What were your "attention-getters"?"

My comment to them said that it is awesome that they get to travel to other parts of the world. I love that the people in Dublin were so nice. I have heard horror stories about France. The only experience I have had going out of the U.S. was my senior year of high school. I went on a cruise to Cozumel Mexico with my parents. My first attention getter was the water. It was so blue! The next one was how the tourist area was so clean, but when you go outside of it everything was filthy. Lastly, we took a taxi to a private beach for our "excursion." Their speed limit signs were in Kilometers rather than miles, and I felt like we were going a lot faster than the roads allow in the U.S. I thanked them for sharing, as Dublin is on my list of places to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment