Saturday, November 10, 2012

Blog assignment #11

Little Kids... Big Potential
First Graders in Ms. Cassidy’s class & Skype Interview with Ms. Cassidy

In the first video I was shocked at how much a 6 year old can do and understand on a computer. I am shocked at how well they played together. I have never seen a group of children behave so well with technology such as a DS. Most children I have seen would be fighting over who would hold it let alone get anything accomplished.

In the Skype Interview Dr. Strange asks Ms. Cassidy several questions about her classroom and how she has come to use all the technology that she does. I like how she described how the kids love posting to their blogs. They know people from all over the world can see their work. I loved all of the questions that the students asked. Also, I had to laugh when Dr. Strange asked to see her back yard. I was just thinking what in the world could be in her back yard? Then I saw the snow. I can honestly say I do not miss that about Indiana!

I am not sure of what technology I will be able to use since I am going to teach Math at the Jr. High or High School level. Until I see some of it used in a classroom it will be hard for me to see how it would work with a math class. Obviously I wouldn’t have a blog for a math class. What would it say? We learned functions today. I just don’t see how that would help them learn Math. Of course I could have my “class Blog” to post homework and such, but that would not be my students blogging.

However, if I were to teach elementary I would most definitely use some of these things. I would have to have a very disciplined class to do it, but I would most certainly try.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyndsie,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. I definitely think there is a way that you can incorporate math into a blog for students to use. I'm sure that there is something out there that can give yous some ideas, don't get discouraged! I really didn't see any grammatical errors in you blog post. Keep up the good work!
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather brief. So here is a special assignment for you. Post it as Special Assignment 2. It will replace any future assignment as long as it meets that assignment's deadline.

    Read the article about Sal kahn and the Kahn Academy from Fortune magazine published last Friday that I mailing to you today. (I can't find it online!)

    Read about the Kahn Academy on its home page.
    Read this: Sal Kahn responds to a critic...and the critic answers back from the Washington Post.

    Take a look at iTunesU (iTunes/Store/iTunesU (at top)/search for mathematics
    I made a screen shot of what I found when I did what I suggest you do. I am sending that by email.

    Then summarize what you have read and watched and answer this question: What have you learned about using technology to teach math?

    All of this was the result of a 15 minute search on Google (except the Fortune article). When you have questions (great!), seek answers. Remember our motto: I don't know. Let's find out.


    ReplyDelete