Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Special Blog Post

App store
Dr. Strange has assigned me a special blog post:

Read the article about Sal kahn and the Kahn Academy from Fortune magazine published last Friday that I mailing to you. (I can't find it online!)

Read about the Kahn Academy on its home page. Read this: Sal Kahn responds to a critic...and the critic answers back from the Washington Post.

Take a look at iTunesU (iTunes/Store/iTunesU (at top)/search for mathematics I made a screen shot of what I found when I did what I suggest you do. I am sending that by email.

Then summarize what you have read and watched and answer this question: What have you learned about using technology to teach math?

As you can see in the picture above there are plenty of different apps and programs you can get to aid in teaching and learning math. In the article Dr. Strange sent me in the mail it described what Khan Academy has done. They reach millions of students per year through the videos they post on their site. They have more than 3,400 videos. On their web page you can watch tons of videos on many different subjects on many different levels. You can create your own profile and view your history and suggestions on what you can learn next. You can also select your avatar to show off your accomplishments. They also have a Teacher ToolKit. They can give you ideas of how to incorporate Khan Academy in your classroom.

In article from the Washington post it looks to me like two different organizations are arguing about how to teach and explain the slope of a graph. Like I have said before everyone learns and teaches differently. Therefore of course these two are not going to agree. However, Khan Academy is correct in this argument.

In doing all of this I have realized that I could possibly make my own videos as well as use the ones from Khan Academy that I feel are explained the way I want it to be. I do not want to show these videos in class, but I would refer students to these for a better understanding of the material. I would like to have a class blog or class website that I can have my students go to access these videos and things easier. Lastly, I will research the apps more in hopes to find several that would be useful for my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment