Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Summary for C4T#1

What Now? What Next? So What?

Micheal Fawcett's 9-year-old student planted trees for Arbor Day. He didn't get to talk to his student afterwards. So, he tweeted him later the same day to ask how it went, and the student replied, "I'll make a Doc."

I commented and let him know how awesome I think it is that a 9-year-old little boy would volunteer his time to plant trees. I love that he keeps in touch with his students, and it amazes me that a 9-year-old is on twitter. Thankfully he has parental consent. Lastly, it made me giggle that he said, “I’ll make a doc.” I had no clue what that was until the beginning of this semester!

In his next post, he says it was supposed to be a comment to someone's blog, but his iPad was not cooperating. Her post was about PaCT, and how they are trying to make all teachers teach the same and think the same and coordinate it to where all teachers are teaching the same thing at the same time. That way a student can move from one school to another and the new teacher can pick up where the last one left off. So, in his "comment" he explained that teachers are the only ones who can stand up and say enough is enough. If they continue silence and claim no responsibility for the destructive effects these policies will have on a generation of students then they only have themselves to blame.

My comment was expressing how I thought that the concept of PaCT was insane. Not every student thinks the same way. So, how can they expect every teacher to? If it was not for some of my teachers who thought differently than others, I never would have made it out of my math classes with passing grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment