Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Blog Assignment #4

Pod-What?
Podcasting

I went to Judy Scharf’s Podcast selection and watched the video How to Create a Podcast using Audacity. Since I have never heard of a podcast before, this video was very overwhelming. I have to download a lot of stuff to my computer from the Internet (not something I make a habit out of). It is very neat that you can remove backround noise and trim certain things from the recording. My luck if it did not have this option, the neighbors would come home and my dogs would start barking. Then, I would have to start all over. This is definitely a program I will have to play with for a while before I need to use it.

In the video Podcasting in The Classroom by Mr. Joe Dale, he mentions (among other things) that podcasting is a good idea for when students are sick. I never really thought about this until he said it, and it made me think about it a little more. I want to teach math. We all know that not everyone is good at math. By the time I got to Algebra I had surpassed my mother in her math skills, and I surpassed my dad at about geometry. So, neither one could help me anymore. If math teachers would podcast their lectures, the parents could learn along with their students, and they would have a better chance of helping their children with their homework.

I also went to Langwhitches Blog and read Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting. I loved that she was not making this assignment all about podcasting. Each student recorded his or her sentence. The teacher made sure all of the recordings were out of order. That way her students had to listen to each one, do the editing it needed, and put them in the right order. She even thought about pulling it up on the smart board in their classroom so they got the hands on experience of doing this. I wish I had something like that growing up! I would not be so confused now!

1 comment:

  1. Lyndsie,

    It really is amazing where technology has brought us today! You said that you surpassed your parents in your math skills so they could not help you after awhile. Luckily with the internet students can always challenge themselves in math or any other subject. Good job on the clickable links and alt and title modifiers on your picture.

    ReplyDelete